Friday, January 5, 2018

Whose Kids Are They, Anyway?

I've been attending local school board meetings off and on for several years. The recent meetings are what catapulted me to run for and become a member of the West Bend School Board. Frankly, the regular school board meetings are pretty benign; the meat of what is happening occurs in the committee meetings. For instance, recently I attended a committee of the whole meeting (the entire board takes part). A few things stuck out for me and I'll take this opportunity to share them along with my views.

The Administration said a few things that made me take pause and consider.
While discussing the recent “Privilege Test/survey/questionnaire” at Badger Middle School, they talked about wanting to “give teachers autonomy” in the classroom.

Now, the definition of autonomy per Oxforddictionaries.com is explained as: “The right or condition of self-government. It's origin is Early 17th century from Greek autonomia, from autonoms “having its own laws, from autos self+nomos 'law'.


In my opinion it is imprudent to use the term “autonomy” while describing teacher/student interactions in the classroom. As a professional nurse my work falls under constraints, too. I am a nurse and not the doctor. I am not autonomous in my profession and neither should teachers be. Autonomy is for parents and family government.

I prefer the word creativity. The definition from the same website defines creativity as: The use of imagination or original ideas to create something; inventiveness.

Because words have specific meaning, we need to look at the words used by current school district administration because they have an impact on expectations in the classroom. I do not believe teachers should be free to insert curriculum or ideas into the classroom where our kids sit each day. While curriculum is best taught by a teacher who is creative and can engage students, there are parameters set by state statute and local boards. With these parameters in place parents will not have cause to fear what is happening in the classroom, and teachers will have the protection of law and policy while they do their job. We need a board that understands what these words mean, cares about parental rights and responsibilities and is not afraid to hold school staff accountable. We must remember that teachers are not parents and government schools should not take the liberty of being “parents”. That is not why they exist.

Again, I believe autonomy is for family government. Let's leave it at that. Let's use language that correctly defines the role of professional teachers who teach our kids in schools funded by our tax dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment